Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer Pork Salad

Last summer when I did a salad taste testing this was voted number !  I hope you love it too! 

Salad dressing and marinades I always make from scratch because store bought ones have a lot of preservatives, rancid oils and sodium. Really who wants to eat something that last on the shelf for over a year and when you look at the ingredients you don't even know what they are. It was one of the first things I change when I cleaned up my diet.  I no longer worry about them being low fat.  I just concern myself with them being made will real ingredients that were put on this earth for me to enjoy. The taste is more satisfying plus no guilt because I know olive oil and cider vinegar is good for me.  I even make my ranch dressing with real buttermilk!  Yum Yum!

Homemade dressings will separate but all it takes is a shake to bring them back together.  Vinaigrette's last about a month and can be used as marinades or in stir fries.  Ranch or creamy dressings usually last about a week.
Take it one prep at a time,
Chef Jackie

Summer Pork Salad
4
pork chops, marinated, grilled and sliced
8
cups
mixed greens
2
nectarines or peaches cut into 12 slices each
2
oranges, segmented or 1 cup Mandarin oranges
2
avocados, diced
1
pint
grape or cherry tomatoes
1
Tbs
olive oil
3
Tbs
slivered almonds, toasted or sunflower kernels
Dressing-Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
2
Tbs
balsamic vinegar
2
Tbs
honey
½
Tbs
Dijon mustard
2
Tbs
mayonnaise
1
tsp
chili powder
1
tsp
Celtic sea salt
½
tsp
fresh ground pepper.
3/8
cup
Just under ½ cup olive oil (3/8)
1.
 In a large bowl combine all ingredients except dressing.
2.
 In a small bowl combine balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, chili powder, salt and pepper.
3.
 Slowly whisk in oil until incorporated.
4.
 Toss desired amount of dressing with salad and serve.
Yield: 4-6

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Prep Ahead:
Season pork with salt and pepper or ¼ cup basic vinaigrette and cook, cool and slice pork; or use leftovers.
Slice nectarines.
Segment oranges.
Dice avocado.
Toast almonds.
Make dressing.
Author: Chef Jackie White
Chef Tips:
For fancier presentation only toss the greens with dressing and divide amongst salad plates. Arrange remaining fruits and vegetables on top and drizzle with a little dressing. Fan cooked pork over the top of the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment