I remember years ago when I was getting married some suggested to me to register for simple white plates. Of course I didn't listen. The funny thing is I actually bought white dishes for my wedding because the caterer said it was cheaper than renting them. After the wedding I donated them to the historical home we rented for our nuptials. We only had 60 guests so I definitely should have kept them. But as a newlywed I found it hard to imagine I would ever need them. Nearly 13 years after receiving that I advice I got my white dishes for my son's First Communion celebration.
Why I love them. Let me count the ways:
- Food looks appetizing against white and is never fighting to be noticed.
- When I want a different look I simply change the table linens.
- White can be black tie or casual.
- Real VS. Paper-it's good for the environment. Guests rise to the occasion and clean up for you. Paper gets left around. When I use real dishes everyone brings them to the kitchen sink. This was an unexpected benefit but the best one nevertheless!!
- Meals on "real" plates feel more special.
I remember seeing these plates for the first time and thinking how boring. I can't believe how many people have these and love them. I debated long and hard what white plates to get for Carson's special day. Many of my friends weighed in and all of them (except other chefs) said to get Corelle. Because these were going to be used in my home I went with my friends advice.
Why they said they love them and why I do too:
- Lightweight and very thin
- Break resistant-these plates can take some abuse
- Easily replaceable
- I can fit all 50 in my dishwasher at once!!!
- Can add matching platters, gravy boats etc. to my dish collection at any time.
- 50 of each- luncheon plates, dinner plates and bowls fit easily into my cabinets.
- Corelle dishware is dishwasher, oven and microwave safe.
- This dishware comes in many sizes. Great for portion control.
- I use the pie plates for salads, pasta, hot dips and of course pies.
100 plates and counting...