Sunday, April 29, 2012

Recipe and Tip of the Week; Mom's Chicken Soup and How to Seperate an Egg

Last week I wrote about Freezer Fall Back meals and how helpful they can be when either you are to sick to cook or you just plain get to busy to work your meal plan.  My Mom's Chicken Soup recipe was a lifesaver for me last when I did not feel good. I was able to pull it from the freezer and have delicious meal in just a few minutes.  I served it with plain old PB&J Sandwiches and everyone was happy (ever since I was I child I loved this combo when I was sick) . 

Each week I will try to post a recipe that will help you work ahead for planning real meals.  Freezer meals, snacks and pantry items are easy to make ahead and will make your meal time much easier; especially when you get thrown off course and need to change your plans.  I am also going to include one chef tip each week.  Feel free to email me if with feed back or to ask questions.

Take it One Prep at a Time!
Chef Jackie


Recipe of The Week
Mom’s Chicken Soup
1
whole
chicken, pasture raised or organic chicken, cut into pieces
12
cups
homemade chicken stock or organic store bought chicken stock
1
Tbs
apple cider vinegar
1
medium onion, chopped
1
clove
garlic, minced
4
carrots, peeled and cut into ¼ inch rounds
2
parsnips, peeled and cut into ¼ inch rounds
2
celery stalks with leaves cut into ¼ pieces across the rib
¼
cup
fresh parsley, chopped
2-3
tsp
teaspoons Celtic sea salt
1
tsp
fresh ground pepper
1.
Rinse chicken pieces under cold water and pat dry with paper towel.
2.  
In a heavy bottom soup pot bring chicken stock to boil and reduce heat to low.
3.
Add chicken pieces and cider vinegar. Cover and poach chicken for about 15 minutes until cooked throughout. Cool 5-10 minutes.
4.
Remove chicken from pot. Discard the skin. Shredded or chop the meat and set aside. Save the bones and freeze for future home-made stock.
5.
Add vegetables to the pot and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes until vegetable are tender/crisp.
6.
Add chicken, parsley and adjust the seasoning with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Servings: 6
Degree of Difficulty: Easy
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Prep ahead:
Clean chicken and pat dry.
Mince garlic.
Chop onions, carrots, parsnips, celery and parsley.

Author: Chef Jackie White

Allergen Info:
Casein-free
Egg-free
Gluten-free
Comments:
Soup can be made with leftover cooked chicken by omitting the fresh chicken.
Recipe freezes well. So make a double!
Reduce salt if using purchased chicken stock.

Tip of The Week; Separating Eggs
I got this tip last week when I was at a party.
Separating an Egg with a Funnel
  • Place funnel in a cup.
  • Crack egg into funnel.
  • White will fall through funnel hole while yolk remains the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment